Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

Weekend Project

When you have a 110 pound wire-hair terrier a bath and groom does turn into a weekend project believe it or not. When I groomed for a living (I was a mobile groomer for alittle while), I had the mega powered blow dryer, and all the tools of the trade at my disposal, plus I got paid to do it. Back then a dog like this would take about 2 hours start to finish.
Now I have to give him a bath in the evening (so he's dry the next day for the groom), brush him in the morning, and then groom him in the afternoon (during kids naptime).
Although my airedale terrier Bash is the sweetest dog imaginable, he is not a fan of the bath, or brush, or the clippers. He also gets quite dirty rough housing with his roommate Catfish, chasing squirrels, playing with the kids etc. etc. I have tried a ton of different dog shampoos, as you might imagine considering my long-past profession. Seems I always go through a half or whole bottle just for Bash.
I have read recently that people have had great success using Shaklee's Basic H cleaner for dog shampoo (It is perfectly safe-they say its safe enough to brush your teeth with!). So, I decided to try it, it does cost a lot less than any of the quality dog shampoos!

I am happy to report, it worked amazingly well! I used 1/2 cup of Basic H for Bash, a LOT less than any shampoo! It simply CLEANED him- it was so refreshing. No gizmos or scents or added this or that.. it just cleaned him- and very well at that! It didn't dry out his skin or coat at all, very important for the terrier coat. This morning, after drying, his hair was soft and he didn't smell at all like dog, or shampoo or anything. Lovely! My clipper and blade also benefited from the new "shampoo", no build up in the blade and it ran very quietly and well thanks to that.
My grade, as a former groomer and a lifetime dog owner, A +!!! Try it!!


1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try that next time! How much do you dilute it with? I trimmed George down yesterday too but didn't do a very good job i'm afraid. He is now complaining that I patched him out and i'm willing to agree with him... ;)

    ReplyDelete