Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

My Vegetable Garden

Living in a city has its drawbacks, I can't have the acreage of vegetables and pumpkins I dream of. But, I can have a small vegetable garden! This is my fourth year of being a back yard "farmer", and we all love it so. The kids and I plant the seeds in spring, and transfer the seedlings into the little fenced plot in the back yard (we have dogs, hence the fence).
We all love to harvest, and we are finally at a point this year where we can harvest something almost daily. We have at least one zucchini each day, tomatoes (4 varieties) are starting to ripen, jalapenos are ready as are the green beans. The strawberries never actually make it inside, since they are the responsibility of the toddlers.. 
We have tons of herbs that I use in cooking each day. We have tons of basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, chives and even fennel. I can't wait to harvest the fennel bulbs this fall!

Now, all that said, I have had one little problem this year. Aphids. They showed up when the cabbages started forming. I started asking around with gardening friends and family, and got lots of great advice. I will not use any kind of chemicals or pesticides, ever. Well, of course, Shaklee came to the rescue again! I was surprised to hear that lots of people use Basic H in gardening! It is used as a deterrent for all kids of bugs, including aphids! And, lots of people use their waste water from cleaning the house(with Basic H) and pour it over the plants to enhance growth and greenery!
So, I tried it. I sprayed a strong dilution Basic H (50/50 water) all over the cabbages. The very next day the aphids were gone! I have since sprayed it on them about once every other day. No more aphids!! The cabbages look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment