Friday, August 31, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Fried Green Tomatoes

There was little to no drama in the making of these fried green tomatoes. But there was much munching and begging for more upon the completion of the saga.

Although the South is probably my favorite place to be, I have never actually tried these divine little creations made famous by a certain dramatic movie. The only reason I decided to make them is that I have, literally, hundreds of large green tomatoes in the yard. After asking for expert advice (thanks B), I learned I needed to harvest some greens to get the pants ripening.
So, the kids and I set out to find 6 of the largest green tomatoes. Results were more like 8-10.. the kids thoroughly enjoyed this task.

I sliced them about 1/3" thick, placed them on paper towels, and salted lightly. I let them sit there while I put the rest of the fixins' together. In order:
  • white flour mixed with salt & pepper
  • egg/buttermilk mix (2 eggs & about 1/2 cup buttermilk) salt & pepper
  • Panko breadcrumbs mixed with cajun seasoning (Shout-Out for Panko- LOVE these crumbs!)
 I also heated up my old faithful cast iron pan, with about 1/2" of canola oil, really hot.
 Then, in usual breading fashion, dredge the tomatoes in flour, then into egg mix, then coat in bread crumbs. Pop into the oil and watch them sizzle. Turn them over after about 1 minute, and once both sides are beautifully browned, remove and place on paper towels.

Make an aioli or remoulade sauce, or something similar, dip and go!!

I made a sauce out of a little buttermilk, mayo, cajun seasoning, lemon juice and ketchup. Very good and easy! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment