Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pin It

Widgets

Pumpkin Butter- super easy, no crock pot needed!

I love me a good fruit "butter". When I first tried apple butter a decade ago at an Amish fair, I absolutely fell head over heels with it. I was surprised to find out there was absolutely no butter (or other fat for that matter) involved!
So, I learned to make apple butter, yum! Next, I tried pear butter- it may be even more satisfying than its apple cousin.
So, this time it is Pumpkin Butter's turn. This is my second batch ever, and I must say it is good, the only problem I found was that I had to add more sweetener than I expected and significantly more than in the pear and butter varieties, due to the pumpkins more savory flavor.
My sweeteners of choice in this batch was maple syrup (the real kind) and apple cider. Quantities of all ingredients is pretty much up to you and your preferences.

I start my pumpkin butter with, you guessed it, a PUMPKIN! Not from a can, but from a field. We got ours this year from a local farm- Hill Ridge Farms- where we also had a blast!

Here's some simple directions- play around with the seasonings! I'd love to hear about others versions I always love experimenting and learning! You can completely skip apple cider and maple syrup, and just go for some good ole cane sugar! Or, how about honey? lemon zest? Fresh ginger? I can't wait for my next batch!

Click on the images for larger- more legible version!
http://i.imgur.com/IKSzbHA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XWqbvkl.jpg

You will end up with a guaranteed delicious, nutritious and versatile spread/dip. My kids love dipping apple slices and graham crackers in it. It is also great mixed in with vanilla yogurt and granola. The options are endless. ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment