Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Healthy Halloween

Oxymoron, right? I was assigned the task of bringing healthy snacks fro the kids school's Halloween party. Samples listed were, cheese, crackers, fruit, vegg etc.
Doesn't sound like alot of fun, so I put my thinking cap on and came up with the following:

Clementine Pumpkins
And, the one that required a Costco trip; Cantaloupe Pumpkins.
Found a great pumpkin cookie cutter, at ACE hardware of all places!! Next, I went to get the melons- and to get enough flat, cuttable surface, I needed quite a bit. Luckily Costco had the Tuscan Cantaloupe in store, and they are about twice the size of regular ones- hooray!
I still used 3 of these giants..
The first step was to really, really clean the melons on the outside. With all the listeria outbreaks related to melons lately, I take no chances. So, I filled the sink with warm water (not hot! don't want to cook the melons!). I added 1 tsp of Shaklee's Basic G, and a few drops of Basic H. The G is a germicide, and the H will clean any surface! I rolled the melons around in the solution and scrubbed them with my dish brush. The rinsed with cold water. I also made sure the knife, and cutting board were equally clean. I peeled the pumpkins with my filet knife, and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment